COVID-19 Update: 4/8/21
As we enter the latter half of the spring semester, we ask everyone for a renewed commitment to the Petrel Pledge to combat the spread of COVID-19 in our communities. New variants have become more prevalent, so please continue to wear your mask, wash your hands frequently, and maintain social distance from others.
Oglethorpe continues to operate in the orange phase of the Campus Protection Guide and is open to Petrels Authorized for Campus Access (PACAs). This group includes campus residents, commuter students and authorized personnel. Campus remains closed to outside visitors unless preapproved by administration. Non-PACAs are able to request temporary access to campus through the request options on the home page of the COVID-19 website.
There are currently 4 active cases of COVID-19 among commuters in our PACA community, and 1 active case among on-campus residents. All cases are in isolation with close contacts in quarantine. A total of 3,838 COVID-19 tests have been administered on campus since the start of the spring semester, and weekly wastewater testing of residence halls continues.
For the latest on testing and COVID-19 activity on campus, view the COVID-19 Dashboard.
- LifeguardRx: There is one week left until the Campus Store gift card raffle for PACAs completing their daily check-ins! These daily health screenings through LifeguardRx are an important part of minimizing COVID-19 spread in our community. If you are a PACA, please remember that you are required to complete daily health screenings through the LifeguardRx mobile app, including weekends and days not on campus. If you experience issues with LifeguardRx, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Surveillance testing for PACAs: Starting next week, Oglethorpe will be using a new testing partner, so PACAs being tested should bring a photo ID and insurance card. PACAs are selected to participate in surveillance testing multiple times throughout the semester and should receive a notification email from email@example.com when selected to test. Please note that this on-campus testing is mandatory.
- Off-campus testing for PACAs: PACAs tested for COVID-19 off campus must follow public health guidance and remain in quarantine until their test result is known. If you test positive for COVID-19 at an off-campus testing site, please report your case to firstname.lastname@example.org so that the proper contact tracing can take place.
Emergency Assistance Funds
In addition to the distributions that have been mailed out, Oglethorpe is also offering an online application for Emergency Assistance Funds. If you’d like to apply for Emergency Assistance Funds, please use the online application to communicate your financial need and request for funds. If you have questions, please submit them via this form.
Initial details for commencement have been shared with the participating classes, and additional information will continue to be shared as plans are finalized. Graduating students in the Class of 2021 must submit a degree application by April 9, 2021.
- Class of 2021 Commencement: Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 9 a.m.
- Class of 2020 Commencement: Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 9 a.m.
Visit commencement.oglethorpe.edu for more.
All individuals 16 and older are now eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine in Georgia. Additional information can be found on the Georgia Department of Public Health website. All PACAs are expected to continue following the policies outlined in the COVID-19 Handbook, regardless of vaccination status, until further notice.
Please note that the Pfizer vaccine is the only COVID-19 vaccine currently approved for those who are 16 and 17 years old.
Report a concern or violation
It is important for everyone to follow the university’s policies to reduce the spread of COVID-19 on campus. Violating any of the policies outlined in the COVID-19 Handbook can result in conduct violations, and ultimately, removal from campus. Individuals can and should report COVID-19 violations, incidents or concerns anonymously at covid19.oglethorpe.edu.